We offer two year-round emergency shelters for those who identify as male in Mecklenburg County, providing over 400 emergency shelter beds nightly Tryon Shelter (1210 N. Tryon St.) & Howard Levine Men’s Shelter (3406 Statesville Ave). The basics of our emergency shelter include:
- Laundry services
- Hygiene items
- Supportive staff
- 18 years of age or older
- Identify as male (we strive to be a welcoming and inclusive environment; thus, we allow our guests to self-identify their gender)
How to Enroll in Shelter
- Call 2-1-1 to complete a coordinated entry.
- Due to limited capacity, there is a lottery process to enter the shelter. To enter the lottery process :
- Come to 1210 North Tryon Street between 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. Monday – Friday OR call 704-335-3187 ext. 101 before 9:00 a.m. Monday – Friday. Call back after 10:00 a.m. for results.
- Women (with or without children) please contact Salvation Army Center of Hope.
- Youth under 18 please contact The Relatives
To increase income, we have an employment team that is supplemented by volunteers to guide guests through each stage of the employment process. Our employment team provides the following support:
- One-on-one coaching
- Assistance with resumes
- Connections to employment
- Transportation plans for interviews and job placements
The team also creates partnerships with local employers and connects eligible guests to disability income.
Both shelters have on-site learning labs with access to computers, particularly to support guests with employment work.
To help guests obtain housing, we offer a few layers of assistance, including diversion, support for guests enrolled in the shelter, and ongoing support for guests that have obtained housing. Guests of the shelter are assigned a housing navigator to support guests with individualized housing plans.
In addition, the shelter offers referrals to a rapid rehousing program that provides a temporary rent subsidy for guests, when appropriate. Guests in our rapid rehousing program are provided additional support to retain housing.
Embedded within our Tyron Street shelter located at 1210 N. Tryon St. is a wellness wing comprised of partnerships to provide the following services:
- Substance use treatment
- Mental health counseling
- Health services (nurse)
- Peer support
To connect with our services at our Tyron Shelter (1210 N. Tryon Street), please call the front desk main number 704-334-3187 ext. 102.
To connect with our services at our Howard Levine Men’s Shelter (3406 Statesville Ave.), please call the front desk main number 704-334-3187 ext. 102.
If you or someone you know needs immediate shelter, guests can come to the Lucille Giles Center, located at 3410 Statesville Ave. Every Night, the shelter welcomes guests who are 18+ and identify as male.
Guests can show up beginning at 4:30 p.m. for a bed for the night until the shelter is full and can stay until 8:00 a.m. the following morning. The emergency shelter includes:
- Hygiene items
- Meals (dinner and breakfast)
To connect with our services at the Lucille Giles Men’s Shelter, please call the front desk main number: 704-334-3187 ext. 102.
Winter Overflow Shelter
Room in the Inn
Room in the Inn collaborates with faith partners and local organizations to provide shelter and basic needs for people experiencing homelessness during the winter months, December 1 – March 31.
To learn more about this program and how to get involved as a host site, please click here.
- Proof of full Vaccination (ages 12+)
- Photo ID
- Must pre-register DAILY between 2:30 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. (at Day Services Center or Hotline 704-334-3187 ext. 5002) *Limited beds available*
- Pre-registered guests must arrive for check-in at Day Services Center (945 N. College St) by 4:30 p.m.
People are prioritized for Room in the Inn on the following basis:
- Women or men with children
- Unaccompanied women
- Unaccompanied men
COVID SAFETY PROTOCOLS
Given the importance of this program, we are moving forward with the program this 2021/2022 season as a key component to our winter sheltering plan with COVID protocols in place. The eligibility guidelines this year also include:
- Guests who are 12 years old or older who are fully vaccinated.
- Children under 12 years of age. For this group, we will provide regular rapid antigen tests.
- Note: Our community’s year-round emergency shelter serves unvaccinated (and vaccinated) guests and will be an alternative for those not eligible for Room in the Inn.